The corridor for the evacuation of civilians from the besieged port of Mariupol in southeastern Ukraine did not work on Wednesday, said Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Irina Vereşciuk, who accused the Russian side of violating the ceasefire agreement and blocking access to buses, AFP reports.
“Unfortunately, the humanitarian corridor in Mariupol did not work as planned today,” the Ukrainian official lamented on Wednesday evening, after announcing in the morning a “preliminary” agreement with Russia for the creation of the corridor, the first of its kind. Saturday.
“Due to the lack of control over their own army on the ground, the occupiers were unable to ensure a proper ceasefire,” Vereşciuk said.
“In addition, due to their disorganization and negligence, they were not able to ensure a fast transport of people to the point where they were waiting for our dozens of buses and ambulances,” she added, according to agerpres.ro.
Mariupol humanitarian corridor cannot function without agreement with Russian side intensifying attacks in eastern Ukraine
No evacuation corridors have been established in Ukraine since Saturday due to a lack of agreement with the Russian side, which has intensified its attacks in the east of the country in recent days.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken told reporters that the United States is providing assessments to the Ukrainian authorities on the possibility of establishing humanitarian corridors, but that it is a “difficult decision” to make.
“There have been previously agreed agreements on humanitarian corridors that have failed because security has been violated by Russian forces,” he said.
President Volodymyr Zelensky, for his part, spoke of the tragic situation in Mariupol, where Ukrainian soldiers barricaded in a factory, bombed and besieged, were accompanied by “hundreds of wounded” and “about a thousand civilians, women and children.” which “protects them at the cost of their lives.”
Follow România Libera on Twitter, Facebook and Google News!